CHILDREN DENTAL CARE GUIDE – RECOMMENDATIONS BY AGE
Why & when to visit the dentist?
12 to 24 months
- Have complete the clinical oral examination
- Complete a caries risk assessment.
- Clean teeth and remove supra- and sub-gingival stains or deposits as indicated.
- Have the child’s systemic and topical fluoride status assessed (including type of infant formula used, if any, and exposure to fluoridated toothpaste) and provide counseling regarding fluoride.
- Assessment of appropriateness of feeding practices (including bottle, breast-feeding, and no-spill training cups)
- Review of child’s fluoride status
- Topical fluoride treatments every six months or as indicated by the child’s individual needs or risk status/susceptibility to disease.
Two to six years
- Repeat the procedures for 12 to 24 months every six
months or as indicated by the child’s individual needs
or risk status/susceptibility to disease.
- Dentist provides age appropriate oral hygiene instructions.
- Scale and clean the teeth every six months or as indicated by individual patient’s needs.
- Provision of pit and fissure sealants for caries-susceptible anterior and posterior primary and permanent teeth.
- Assessment/treatment or referral of developing malocclusion as indicated by individual patient’s needs.
- Treatment and/or appropriate referral for any oral diseases, habits, or injuries as indicated.
- Assessment of speech and language development and provide appropriate referral as indicated.
Six to 12 years
Position of the Canines
Oral hygiene and diet counselling
12 years and older
- Repeat the procedures for ages six to 12 years every six months or as indicated by the child’s individual needs or risk status/susceptibility to disease.
- During late adolescence, assessment of the presence, position, and development of third molars, giving consideration to removal when there is a high probability of disease or pathology and/or the risks associated with early removal are less than the risks of later removal.
- Dental checkup for continuing oral care.